- Sundays (Port Angeles) Regular Sunday dance.
Scandinavian and ballroom dancing Sundays, 7–9 p.m. Scandia Hall at 131 W 5th St., Port Angeles, WA. Donations taken at the door. Info: Sandy or Paul, (360) 457-7035 or email@example.com.
- Mondays (Poulsbo) Scandinavian dance instruction, 7–9 p.m., at the Sons of Norway Hall, 18891 Front Street. Party dance Monday, February 15 (Presidents’ Day). Bring dance shoes and a treat to share, donate generously, and dance exuberantly! Queries: Laurel at (360) 876-8907 or Julie at (360) 394-9698.
- Mondays (Portland) Norske Runddansere Scandinavian Folkdance. We dance and teach couple and circle dances and lively mixers from all five Scandinavian countries. We meet at Scandinavian Heritage Foundation’s Nordia House at 8800 SW Oleson Rd., Portland, OR 97223. Regular admission is $4; first dance free, and free for students; $50 for
annual membership. Everyone is welcome! Please bring separate indoor dancing shoes. Lessons every Monday, 7:30–8:30 p.m., fall–spring. Open request dance year-round. Info: Newgards, (503) 636–7509 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: www.norskerunddansere.org
- Wednesdays, (Burnaby, B.C.) Scandinavian dance. Weekly teaching & request dancing to recorded music from September through April, with time off around Christmas. Scandinavian Community Centre, 6540 Thomas St., 7:30–10 p.m., $8. Second Wednesdays are live music nights at an alternate location; see www.vcn.bc.ca/scandi for the venue and details. Info: Judith, (604) 526-4722 or email@example.com.
- 1/14–2/11(Kirkland) Skandia Basics on Thursdays. 7:30 p.m., Peter Kirk Center. Call (425) 587-2226 to register.
- 1/23 (Tacoma) Scandinavian Dance with Sons of Norway. 7–10:30 p.m. Music by Folk Voice Band. Learn or review polka with Pat McMonagle at 7 p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Scandinavian
couple dances. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No partner needed. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of 15th and M L King St. Tacoma). $10; $7 for Sons of Norway Lodge #2 members ($10 for couples); $5 for nondancers. Students free. Info: (253) 759-3731 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1/23 (Seattle) Leif Erikson Lodge 2-001 Educational Foundation Crab Feed, 6 p.m. Includes silent and dessert auctions, plus dancing to Miles from Chicago. Leif Erikson Hall, 2245 NW 57th St, Seattle, WA 98107. Menu includes Dungeness crab, Cornish game hen, or stuffed chicken breast, plus sides. No-host bar. Bring your own picks and pliers.
- 1/24 (Mt. Vernon) Fourth Sunday Scandinavian dance at the VASA lodge in Mount Vernon, 1805 Cleveland Ave, 2–5 pm. Live music by the
Sammenspil Band of Vancouver B.C. Preceding the dance, there will be a beginning/intermediate lesson from noon to 1:30. Info: email@example.com.
- 2/5–6 (Lynnwood) Vinterdans, Cedar Valley Grange.
- 2/7 (Seattle) Swedish pancake breakfast. Live music, dancing, and authentic Swedish pancakes, with ham, lingonberries, and all the fixin’s. Live music by The Gnomes, Skolkis, and Swedish Women’s Chorus.
$9; SCC members, $7; children ages 5–12, $5.
8 a.m.–1:30 p.m. Swedish Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter Ave N.
- 2/12 (Seattle) Swedish Club’s live music folk dance.
8–10:30 p.m. $10; less for Swedish Club members. No partner or experience needed. Swedish Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter Ave N.
- 2/14 (Seattle) NW Danish Association Fastelavn and Valentine’s Day Celebration. 2–4 p.m., Seattle Danish Center. This fun day for kids will include various Danish crafts, such as fastelavnsris and gækkebreve in preparation for spring! Info:
nwdanish.org. RSVP by February 9 by calling (206) 523-3263 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2/25–3/24 (Kirkland) Skandia Basics on Thursdays in Kirkland. 7:30 p.m., Peter Kirk Center. Call (425) 587-2226 to register.
- 2/27 (Tacoma) Scandinavian Dance with Sons of Norway, 7–10:30 p.m. Music by Fiole Glädje (Leslie Foley, Bob Hamilton, and Irene Meyer). Learn or review polska with Judy Patterson and Jerry Walsh at 7 p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m.
Scandinavian couple dances. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No partner needed. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of 15th and M.L. King St., Tacoma). $10; $7 for Sons of Norway Lodge #2 members ($10 for couples); $5 for
nondancers; students, free. Info: (253) 759-3731 or email@example.com.
- 2/28 (Mt. Vernon) Fourth Sunday Scandinavian dance, VASA lodge in Mount Vernon. Live music by Skandia Kapell. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3/7 Hambo Fest with Norske Runddansere. Learn the hambo, 7:30–8:30, then dance Sweden’s
national dance and other easy dances until 10 p.m. Members free; nonmembers, $5. Please bring
separate indoor dancing shoes. Location: SHF’s Nordia House , 8800 SW Oleson Road, Portland OR 97223.
- 3/19 (Vancouver, B.C.) Spring Equinox Ball 2016. Details and registration information will be posted later at http://www.vcn.bc.ca/scandi/ .
- 5/13–16 Springdans Northwest.
- 8/19–21 Norsk Folkedans Stemne with Ingrid Tuko and friends at Treacy Levine Center, Camp Brotherhood, WA. More info: www.seattlestemne.org.
Email Scandinavian events items to email@example.com, or send by surface mail (typed only ) to Kathy D. Bruni, Skandia Newsletter, 14805 NE 177th St., Woodinville, WA 98072-6223. Items for the March issue must arrive by 10 February. Please include date, time, cost, location, contact phone number, and/or email address. For changes or updates to web site items please email the Skandia Webmaster. Priority is given to local Scandinavian dance and music events