in the Pacific Northwest area
- Sundays (Port Angeles) Regular Sunday dance. Scandinavian and ballroom dancing Sundays, 7–9 p.m. Scandia Hall at 131 W 5th St., Port Angeles, WA. Donations taken at the door. Info: Sandy or Paul, (360) 457-7035 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mondays (Poulsbo) Scandinavian dance instruction, Sons of Norway hall, 18891 Front St., 7 p.m. All welcome; partners not required. Requested donation: $2 ($3 on 3rd-Monday live-music party nights). Info: Fred, (206) 780-8036 or Stan, (360) 779-2460.
- 6/1 (Seattle) Skandia jam, 9:30 a.m.–noon. Bring a friend, your instrument, and a goodie to share, and join us! At the home of Martha Levenson, 12720 25th Ave. NE. Info/directions: Martha at (206) 794-0656.
- 6/2 (Seattle) Swedish pancake breakfast. Authentic Swedish pancakes, lingonberries, ham, and all the fixing’s. Music by Metro Gnomes, Folk Voice Band, and Skolkis. $9; SCC members, $7; children 5–12, $5. 8 a.m.–1:30 p.m. Swedish Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter Ave. N.
- 6/8–15 (Mendocino, CA) Scandia Camp Mendocino. Spend a week experiencing Hallingdal traditions from Norway; Ångermanland, Medelpad, and more traditions from Sweden; singing and culture, nature walks, and good food. Info: www.ScandiaCampMendocino.org or Registration@ScandiaCamp.org.
- 6/9 (Seattle) Family Dance. Live music by Folk Voice, 6 p.m., $10 ($15/family). Instruction by Pat McMonagle. Lake City Community Center, 12531 28th Ave NE, Seattle. Info: email@example.com.
- 6/9 (Mount Vernon) VASA Lodge Midsommarfest, 2–6 p.m. Raising the Majstang at 2 p.m.; live music by Skandia Kapell for dancing around the pole, followed by dancing in the lodge and a potluck at 4 p.m.; more dancing until 6 p.m. Costumes encouraged. Free; Scandinavian side dish or dessert for potluck appreciated. Info: (360) 293-9210 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Directions to the lodge: From I-5 take the Kincaid Rd. exit (#226), go west to S. First St., turn left (at Bank of America). VASA is at 1805 Cleveland. (S. First becomes Cleveland).
- 6/16 (Bellevue) Vasa Park Midsommarfest. Dance at 8 p.m., free admission. Pancake breakfast, 9 a.m.–12 noon, $8. Vasa Park, 3560 W. Lake Sammamish Parkway SE, Bellevue, WA. Info: email@example.com.
- 6/16 (Bellevue) Good Times Annual Summer Solstice Dance, Vasa Park, 4–6 p.m. & 7–9 p.m., with picnic time in-between. The music will be Sylvia and her “Ya Sure, Ya Betcha Band”. $10.
- 6/21–23 (Corbett, OR) Danish Cultural Conference is for all ages! Enjoy speakers on various interesting Danish and current topics, field trips to nearby sights, nature walks, evening events, and entertainment. Menucha Conference Center, Corbett, Oregon. Info and registration: www.northwestdanishfoundation.org.
- 6/23–29 (Corbett, OR) Himmelbjerget is a week-long camp for ages 10 to 18, where you will experience the customs and traditions of Denmark. This year’s theme is Hans Christian Andersen. Info and registration: www.northwestdanishfoundation.org.
- 6/24–28 (Seattle) Heritage Day Camp for kids ages 7–11, 9 a.m.–3 p.m. Theme: Norse gods. Registration deadline, June 11. $85 for members of Leif Erikson Lodge; $150 for nonmembers of the NHM or LEL). Reservations required; contact Alison Church at (206) 789-5707, ext 19 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 6/28 (Seattle) Scandinavian Dance, 8–10:30. Live music by Skandia Kapell. A special guest artist will be there for his premier performance. He is 8 years old. Swedish Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter N., Seattle 98109. Info: email@example.com.
- 6/30 (Kenmore) Skandia Midsommarfest 2013, St. Edward State Park, 14445 Juanita Drive NE. This traditional Scandinavian celebration features music & dance performances, kids’ activities (including raising a kid-sized pole), flower crowns, craft & food booths, a costume presentation, participatory dancing, and the traditional pole-raising ceremony. Free (donations accepted; buttons available for a $2 donation to help defray costs). 11 a.m.–6 p.m.
- 7/27 (Issaquah) Scandinavian Summer Celebration, 10–5, free. Issaquah Senior Center, 75 NE Creek Way. Arts & crafts vendors, demonstrations, folk costumes, traditional foods, music, genealogy, entertainment, activities for children all day, 1 p.m. simple family dances followed by children’s dances, special children’s programs at 2 p.m., Kransekake raffle, Runes Riddles, Lefse making and more! Food available. Space and parking are limited. Contact: Leiann Ronnestad, (425) 313-0193 or Info@BarneFoundation.com. Info: www.ScandinavianFestivals.com.
- 8/5–9 (Seattle) Dane Camp for children ages 5–10. The theme will incorporate the tales of Hans Christian Andersen. Harmony Hall, 1833 N. 105th St., Suite 101. Info: (206) 523-3263, firstname.lastname@example.org, or www.northwestdanishfoundation.org.
- 2013 Bothell Sons of Norway Dance Events:
Sons of Norway Calendar of Events and Classes
Sons of Norway Dance Schedule
Good Time Dance Club Dance Flyer
Email Scandinavian events items to email@example.com, or send by surface mail (typed only ) to Kathy D. Bruni, Skandia Newsletter, 14805 NE 177th St., Woodinville, WA 98072-6223. Items for the June issue must arrive by 10 May. Please include date, time, cost, location, contact phone number, and/or email address. For changes or updates to web site items please email the Skandia Webmaster. Priority is given to local Scandinavian dance and music events