- Sundays (Port Angeles) Regular Sunday dance. Scandinavian and ballroom dancing Sundays, 7–9 p.m. Scandia Hall at 131 W 5th St., Port Angeles, WA. Donations taken at the door. Info: Sandy or Paul, (360) 457-7035 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mondays (Poulsbo) Scandinavian dance instruction at the Poulsbo Sons of Norway hall, 18891 Front St., Poulsbo. 7–9 p.m.; $3 per session; partners not required. Party dance Monday, November 21, 7–9 p.m. As always, bring dance shoes, enthusiasm, and a treat to share. On Monday, November 28, Gangspil from Denmark will present a workshop at 4 p.m. and a performance at 7 p.m. These are vivacious and gifted musicians. Don’t miss them! Info: Julie at (360) 394-9698 or Laurel at (360) 876-8907.
- Mondays (Portland) Norske Runddansere Scandinavian Folkdance. We dance and teach couple and circle dances and lively mixers from all five Scandinavian countries. We meet at Scandinavian Heritage Foundation’s Nordia House at 8800 SW Oleson Rd., Portland, OR 97223. $4; first dance free, and free for students; $50 for annual membership. Everyone is welcome! Please bring separate indoor dancing shoes. Lessons every Monday, 7:30–8:30 p.m., fall–spring. Open request dance year-round. Info: Newgards, (503) 636-7509, email@example.com, or www.norskerunddansere.org.
- Wednesdays, (Burnaby, B.C.) Scandinavian dance. Weekly teaching & request dancing to recorded music, September–April, with time off around Christmas. Scandinavian Community Centre, 6540 Thomas St., 7:30–10 p.m., $8. Second Wednesdays are live music nights at an alternate location; seewww.vcn.bc.ca/scandi for venue and details. Info: Judith, (604) 526-4722 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10/29 (Tacoma) Scandinavian Dance with Sons of
Norway, 7–10:30 p.m. (Note: special date.) Music
by Folk Voice Band. Learn or review polka at 7p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Scandinavian couple
dances. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No
partner needed. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St.
(corner of S.15th and M L King St. Tacoma).
Adults, $10; Sons of Norway Lodge #2 members, $7
($10 for Lodge #2 couples); nondancers, $5; students,
free. Info: (253) 759-3731 or email@example.com.
- 10/29 (Vancouver, B.C.) Scandinavian Dancers of
Vancouver, BC fall dance workshop with Harry
Khamis and Roo Lester. Flyer and more info
- 10/31 (Portland) Norske Runddansere Scandinavian
Folk Dance with live music by Fossegrimen. $5
listening; $8 dancing members; $12 dancing nonmembers;
families=2 adult fees. 7:30–10 p.m.,
Nordia House, 8800 SW Oleson Rd., Portland, OR
97223. Info: www.norskerunddansere.org.
- 11/5 (Bothell) Sons of Norway Annual Bazaar, Bake Sale and Luncheon, 9 a.m.–3 p.m. The bazaar will be selling Norwegian crafts, sweaters, Raggedy Ann dolls, wreaths, table arrangements, Victorian handmade scarfs, jewelry, and other handmade items. The Bake Sale will feature Nordic baked goods. Lunch items available for purchase are pea soup, open-faced sandwiches, rommegraut, and desserts. Free admission and free parking. Open to the public. Bothell Sons of Norway, 23905 Bothell Highway, Bothell WA. Info: (425) 485-9085 or www.bothellsonsofnorway.org.
- 11/5–6 (Seattle) Scandinavian Holiday Bazaar. Two floors of crafts, gifts, baked goods, and fun! Smörgås, pea soup, waffles, and meatballs on Saturday; Swedish pancakes on Sunday. Raffle prizes! The bar is open both days. 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. both days. Swedish Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter Ave N.
- 11/6 (Seattle) Swedish Pancake Breakfast, 8 a.m.–1 p.m. Live music by Gnomes, Folk Voice Band, and Nordiska, plus dancing and authentic Swedish pancakes, with ham and lingonberries. Guests, $9; Blue Card Club members, $7; children ages 5–12, $5. Stay afterward for genealogy in our lobby. Swedish Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter Ave N.
- 11/6 (Seattle) Danish Holiday Bazaar, 11 a.m.–3 p.m., at the Seattle Danish Center, 1833 N 105th St., Suite 205, Seattle. Join us for delicious smørrebrød (authentic Danish open-faced sandwiches). Come by to get your gifts, Christmas items from Denmark, cookies, cake, and much more! Unique Danish Julekurve (Christmas baskets) will be raffled off.
- 11/7 (Portland) Hambo workshop with Norske Runddansere. $5 drop-ins (or $60 pro-rated annual membership). 7:30–10 p.m. (warm-up, 7–7:30; lesson, 7:30–8:30). Nordia House, 8800 SW Oleson Rd., Portland, OR. No partner necessary; please wear indoor, low-heeled, soft-soled shoes. Info:
www.norskerunddansere.org or www.facebook.com/Norskerunddansere.
- 11/10–14 (Salt Lake City) Scandi Fall Fest. Salt Lake City Scandi Fest features Seattle’s Skolkis, and Judy Patterson and Jerry Walsh, teaching music and dances from Föllinge, Sweden. The festival includes listening, music and dance workshops, a concert, Scandinavian dinner, and dance with Skolkis. Visit saltlakescandidance.org for details. For more information, call Tom Oesleby at (801) 703-6736.
- 11/24–27 Southern California Skandia Festival 2016, featuring Britt-Mari Westholm and Bengt Mård, teaching dances from Western Dalarna and elsewhere in Sweden, and Anders Almlöf and Mattias Helje, musicians and music teachers. $350. Info: Darlene.L.Martin@gmail.com or (562) 253-9282; or firstname.lastname@example.org or (714) 893-8888.
- 11/26 (Tacoma) Scandinavian Dance with Sons of Norway, 7–10:30 p.m. Music by Nordic Exposure. Learn or review Svensk Mazurka with Jennifer Roach at 7 p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Scandinavian couple dances. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No partner needed. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of S.15th and M L King St. Tacoma). $10 for adults. $7 for Sons of Norway Lodge #2 members ($10 for Lodge #2 couples). $5 for non- dancers. Students free. Info: (253) 759-3731 or email@example.com.
- 11/27 (Mt. Vernon) Fourth Sunday dance at the VASA lodge in Mount Vernon, 1805 Cleveland Ave. Live music by Takk for Dansen Scandinavian band of Bellingham, 2–5 p.m. Info: (360) 941-2944.
- 1/22/17 (Mount Vernon) Dance, 2–5 p.m. at the VASA lodge, 1805 Cleveland Ave. Live music. Info: (360) 941-2945 .
Email Scandinavian events items to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send by surface mail (typed only ) to Kathy D. Bruni, Skandia Newsletter, 14805 NE 177th St., Woodinville, WA 98072-6223. Items for the December issue must arrive by 10 November. Please include date, time, cost, location, contact phone number, and/or email address. For changes or updates to web site items please email the Skandia Webmaster. Priority is given to local Scandinavian dance and music events