- Sundays (Port Angeles) Regular Sunday dance.
- Scandinavian and ballroom dancing Sundays, 7–9 p.m. Scandia Hall at 131 W 5th St., Port Angeles, WA. Donations taken at the door. Info: Sandy or Paul, (360) 457-7035 or email@example.com.
- Mondays (Poulsbo) Scandinavian dance instruction, most of the time at the Poulsbo Sons of Norway, 18891 Front St., Poulsbo, takes a break in July and August. We resume on Monday, September 19, at 7 p.m. Info: Laurel, (360)876-8907
- Mondays (Portland) Norske Runddansere Scandinavian Folkdance. We dance and teach couple and circle dances and lively mixers from all five Scandinavian countries. We meet at Scandinavian Heritage Foundation’s Nordia House at 8800 SW Oleson Rd., Portland, OR 97223. $4; first dance free, and free for students; $50 for annual membership.Everyone is welcome! Please bring separate indoor dancing shoes. Lessons every Monday, 7:30–8:30 p.m., fall–spring. Open request dance year-round. Info: Newgards, (503) 636–7509, firstname.lastname@example.org, or www.norskerunddansere.org.
- Wednesdays, (Burnaby, B.C.) Scandinavian dance.
- Weekly teaching & request dancing to recorded music, September–April, with time off around Christmas. Scandinavian Community Centre, 6540 Thomas St., 7:30–10 p.m., $8. Second Wednesdays are live music nights at an alternate location; see www.vcn.bc.ca/scandi for the venue and details. Info: Judith, (604) 526-4722 or email@example.com.
- 7/10 (Shoreline) Understanding the Mystical, Magical Language of Music, a workshop for all musicians. Ability to read music is not required. 4–6 p.m., near 105th & Greenwood Ave N. For reservations and location contact Birgit Ages at firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 947-8393. By donation.
- 8/1–5 (Seattle) Dane Camp for Little Vikings. Camp includes daily Danish language lessons, introduction to Danish food, Danish culture and traditions, crafts, stories, games, and sports related to this year’s theme: Vikings! Dane Camp is for little Vikings ages 5–10. Seattle Danish Center, 1833 N 105th Street, Suite 205, Seattle, WA 98133. Regis- tration: http://northwestdanish.org/danecamp.
- 8/17 (Seattle) Wild salmon dinner buffet and Norwegian folk dancing performances with featured artists Gudbrandsdalsdansere, dancers from Gudbrandsdal, Norway. Dinner, 6 p.m.; performance, 7:30 p.m., followed by a public dance with local Norwegian musicians. Leif Erikson Hall, 2245 NW 57th, Se- attle WA 98107. Adults 13 and older: $20; after August 7, $25. Children 6–12, $10; after Aug. 7, $15. Children 0–5, free. Purchase tickets at www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2557096.
- 8/19–21 Norsk Folkedans Stemne with Ingrid Tuko and friends at Treacy Levine Center, Camp Brotherhood, WA. More info: www.seattlestemne.org.
- 9/10 (Clearview) NW Spelmannstämma.
- 10/8–9 (Seattle) Nordic Fiddlers Bloc comes to the Seattle area.
- 10/15 (Seattle) Skandia Ball.
Scandinavian festivals and camps:
This information is provided as a service to members. No endorsement of any event is implied. —The Editor
Nordic Fiddles and Feet June 26–July 3. Scandinavian music and dance in the beautiful White Mountains of New Hampshire. Registration: at nordicfiddlesandfeet.org. Contact Byron Wiley at email@example.com for information, or to receive a brochure.
July 21–24, 2016. Hardanger Fiddle Music & Dance Workshop, featuring the music and dance of Setesdal. Folklore Village, Dodgeville, Wisconsin (35 minutes west of Madison, WI). Registration form & info: www.hfaa.org, firstname.lastname@example.org, or (612) 568-7448.
Norrlandia Camp, July 23–29, 2016. Classes in traditional Swedish dance and music at Harsagården, a lakeside resort known for beautiful scenery, hiking trails, and fine cuisine, in Hälsingland, Sweden. Schedule and activities: http:// spelmanslaget.nu/norrlandia.
Norsk Folkedans Stemne August 19–21,with Ingrid Tuko and friends at Treacy Levine Center, Camp Brotherhood, WA. More info: www.seattlestemne.org.
Email Scandinavian events items to email@example.com, or send by surface mail (typed only ) to Kathy D. Bruni, Skandia Newsletter, 14805 NE 177th St., Woodinville, WA 98072-6223. Items for the August issue must arrive by 10 July. Please include date, time, cost, location, contact phone number, and/or email address. For changes or updates to web site items please email the Skandia Webmaster. Priority is given to local Scandinavian dance and music events