- Sundays (Port Angeles) Regular Sunday dance.
Scandinavian and ballroom dancing Sundays, 7–9 p.m. Scandia Hall at 131 W 5th St., Port Angeles, WA. Donations taken at the door. Info: Sandy or Paul, (360) 457-7035 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mondays (Poulsbo) Scandinavian dance instruction, Monday night dances and classes resume on
September 8, 7 p.m., at the Sons of Norway, 18891 Front St NE, Poulsbo, following a summer of
music, dance, and revelry. Requested donation: $2. For questions regarding classes, contact Julie at (360) 394-9698, or Laurel at (360) 876-8907.
- 8/3 (Seattle) Swedish Pancakes. Live music and dancing, plus authentic Swedish pancakes, lingonberries, ham, and all the right fixin’s. Music by Nordic Reflections and Folk Voice Band. $9; club members, $7; children 5–12, $5. 8 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
- 8/4–8 (Seattle) Dane Camp, for 5- to 10-year-old
children. Taught by a certified teacher; a study of Danish festivals and holidays. Includes arts and crafts, Danish-style lunches, Danish language, folk dances, and games. Register now: call (206) 523-3263 or visit http://northwestdanish.org/ for
brochure and forms.
- 8/6 (Clearview) Northwest Spelmansstämma at the lovely home of Jim and Margaret Noyes in Clearview. This year’s stämma features the wonderful talents of Swedish fiddler Johan Holland. $15 donation. Workshops at 1 p.m.; dinner following; dance at about 7 p.m. Info: Emma Anderson at email@example.com.
- 8/7–10 (Oregon) Junction City Scandinavian Festival, Thursday August 7 thru Sunday August 10,
Junction City OR. Free! Website:
- 8/10 Danish Community Picnic at Vasa Park on Lake Sammamish, 3560 West Lake Sammamish Parkway SE, Bellevue, WA 98008. Bring family and friends to a wonderful afternoon of friendship, camaraderie, and a celebration of our Danish Heritage. Vasa Park has free parking, covered and uncovered picnic areas, a playground, boat launch ($10 per boat), beach access, swimming with diving boards and waterslides and lifeguards on duty. The park requires that you bring no glass or pets. The park is open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Besides swimming, food, and beverages, we will have face painting, fish pond, and egg toss and other games. Bring your own chairs, blankets, towels, swim suits, and food for you, or to share. Vasa Park charges an admission fee of $4.50 per adult, and $2.25 for kids. The Danish Picnic Committee suggests a donation of $6 per adult and $3 for kids to cover the cost of hot dogs, pastries, coffee, beer or soda, and water. The donation includes one of each food item and a beverage. Hot dogs will be served starting at 1 p.m. For more info: Dane Jensen, (206) 437-3660 or Edith Christensen, (206) 523-3263.
- 8/12 (Seattle) Salmon Dinner, sponsored by Leikarringen and Leif Erikson Lodge 2-001. Poulsbo Leikarringen, youth folk dancers, and Barneleikarringen of Greater Seattle, with guest instructors from Norway and the local area will perform at Leif Erikson Lodge, 2245 NW 57th Street, Seattle. Dinner at
6 p.m.; performance at 7:30 p.m.; public dance afterwards. Tickets available from Brown Paper Tickets, www.brownpapertickets.com.
- 8/15–17 Norsk Folkedans Stemne 2014. Cascadian
Center, Camp Brotherhood, WA. Info: Larry Reinert, (206) 937-5211 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Christine Anderson, email@example.com. Website: www.seattlestemne.org.
- 8/25 (Snohomish) Snohomish Zwiefachefest. Music lessons by Chris Barnes, dance lessons by Pat McMonagle, and a live music dance. Donation requested. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 9/12 (Seattle) Scandinavian Folkdances at the Swedish Cultural Center change to the 2nd Friday of the month, starting Friday, September 12. $10. Info: email@example.com.
- 9/18 (Seattle) Heads up: a new Scandinavian & swing dance starts in Ballard on Thursday, September 18. Waltz, polka, foxtrot, hambo, and swing. $10. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10/18 (Seattle) Skandia Ball.
Email Scandinavian events items to email@example.com, or send by surface mail (typed only ) to Kathy D. Bruni, Skandia Newsletter, 14805 NE 177th St., Woodinville, WA 98072-6223. Items for the September issue must arrive by 10 August. Please include date, time, cost, location, contact phone number, and/or email address. For changes or updates to web site items please email the Skandia Webmaster. Priority is given to local Scandinavian dance and music events