- Sundays (Port Angeles) Regular Sunday dance.
Scandinavian and ballroom dancing Sundays, 7–9 p.m. Scandia Hall at 131 W 5th St., Port Angeles, WA. Donations taken at the door. Info: Sandy or Paul, (360) 457-7035 or email@example.com.
- Mondays (Poulsbo) Scandinavian dance instruction,
Sons of Norway Hall, 18891 Front St. Basics of snoa, schottisch, pols, taught at 7 p.m; more dancing follows ‘til 9 p.m. Donation $3; partners not
required. Please note, however, that there has
recently been a dearth of women. Perhaps this
notice will rectify that. There will be no class/dance on Monday, February 16. Info: Julie (360) 394-9698; Laurel (360) 876-8907.
- Wednesdays (Burnaby, B.C.) Weekly teaching & request dancing to recorded music, Scandinavian Community Centre, 6540 Thomas St. 7:30–10 p.m., $8. Second Wednesdays are live music nights at an alternate location; see www.vcn.bc.ca/scandi for venue and details. Info: Wendy Cutler, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1/24 (Tacoma) Mountaineers Scandinavian Dance. 7–10:30 p.m. Liven up winter with the music of Lilla Spelmanslag and Skolkis. Learn or review gammalpolksa with Judy Patterson and Jerry Walsh at 7 p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No partner needed. Non-Mountaineers welcome. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of 15th and M L King St., Tacoma. $10 for adults. $5 for students and non-dancers. Info: (253) 759-3731 or email@example.com.
- 1/25 (Mount Vernon) Fourth Sunday Scandinavian dance at the VASA lodge in Mount Vernon, 1805 Cleveland Ave, 2–5 p.m. CD music. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2/1 (Seattle) Swedish Pancakes. Live music and dancing, plus authentic Swedish pancakes, lingonberries, ham, and all the right fixin’s. Music by Skolkis, Gnomes n’ Trolls, and the TinnFelen Hardanger Fiddle Ensemble. $9; club members, $7; children 5–12, $5. 8 a.m.–1:30 p.m. Swedish Cultural Ctr., 1920 Dexter Ave. N.
- 2/2 (Portland) Hambo Fest. A night of hambo
lessons—Sweden’s national folk dance! We will also teach variations on the hambo, plus easy
mixers for everyone to enjoy. Sponsored by Norske Runddansere. Polish Hall, 3832 N.
Interstate Ave, Portland, OR. Warm-up: 7–7:30 p.m.; hambo lessons, 7:30–8:30 p.m. Open request dancing, 8:30–10 p.m. Everyone is welcome! No partner necessary. $4 drop-ins; under 30, free. Conveniently located on the Yellow Max line. Info: Jerry or Veronika Newgard, at (503) 636-7509 or email@example.com, or check the website: www.norskerunddansere.org.
- 2/7 (Bothell) Sons of Norway Dance, 8–11 p.m.
Music by Bert Carlson. Bothell Lodge, 23905 Bothell-Everett Hwy., Bothell. Info: Ken & Freda Howard, (425) 672-4508.
- 2/21 (Bothell) Krunsekake bake, 10 a.m.–1 p.m. $10; $5 for lodge members. Registration and payment required by Feb. 14; call (425) 385-2144. Bothell Sons of Norway, 23905 Bothell-Everett Hwy.
- 2/22 (Mount Vernon) Fourth Sunday Scandinavian dance at the VASA lodge in Mount Vernon, 1805 Cleveland Ave, 2–5 p.m. Live music by the
Gammel Dansk Folkdance Band of Vancouver, B.C. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2/28 (Bothell) Lefse-making class, 9 a.m.–12 noon. $15; $10 for lodge members. Registration
required; call (425) 486-5275. Bothell Sons of Norway, 23905 Bothell-Everett Hwy., Bothell.
- 2/28 (Tacoma) Mountaineers Scandinavian Dance.
7–10:30 p.m. Warm your spirits with the music of TinnFelen. Learn or review Gothenburg Mazurka with Jennifer Roach at 7 p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No partner needed. Non-Mountaineers welcome. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of 15th and ML King St., Tacoma). $10; $5 for students and non-dancers. Info: (253) 759-3731 or email@example.com
- 3/21 (Vancouver, B.C.) Spring Equinox Ball.
The Scandinavian Dancers of Vancouver, B.C., present our fabulous annual dinner/dance evening. KinVillage Community Centre, 5410 - 10th
Avenue, Tsawwassen, B.C., 6 p.m. to midnight. Preregistration is required for dinner by Monday, March 16. Please download the registration form at: www.vcn.bc.ca/scandi/upcom.html.
- 3/22 Fourth Sunday Scandinavian dance at the VASA lodge in Mount Vernon, 1805 Cleveland Ave., 2–5 p.m. CD music. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4/17–20 (Seabeck, WA) Springdans Northwest will feature Finnskogspols and Slängpolska. Application at www.skandia-folkdance.org.
- 6/28 (Kenmore) Skandia Midsommarfest, 11 a.m.–6 p.m., St. Edward State Park, 14445 Juanita Dr. N.E., Kenmore, WA.
- 10/17 (Seattle) Skandia Ball, Latvian Center, 11710 3rd Ave. NE.
- Valdresspringar Weekend, March 20–22, Folklore Village, WI. Guest dancers: Knut Arne Jacobsen & Brit Totland. Guest fiddlers: Laura Ellestad, Loretta Kelley, Char Bostrom. Registration & info: http://folklorevillage.com/t1/calendar#Cultural%20Retreats, (608) 924-4000, or email@example.com.
- Scandia Camp Mendocino: Join us June 13–20 and explore the richness and variety of the dance and music of Norway & Sweden. Dance and music classes at all levels. Complete details and an application are on our website: www.ScandiaCampMendocino.org. Scholarships available.
Email Scandinavian events items to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send by surface mail (typed only ) to Kathy D. Bruni, Skandia Newsletter, 14805 NE 177th St., Woodinville, WA 98072-6223. Items for the March issue must arrive by 10 February. Please include date, time, cost, location, contact phone number, and/or email address. For changes or updates to web site items please email the Skandia Webmaster. Priority is given to local Scandinavian dance and music events