in the Pacific Northwest area
- Sundays (Port Angeles) Regular Sunday dance. Scandinavian and ballroom dancing Sundays, 7–9 p.m. Scandia Hall at 131 W 5th St., Port Angeles, WA. Donations taken at the door. Info: Sandy or Paul, (360) 457-7035 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mondays (Poulsbo) Scandinavian dance instruction, Sons of Norway hall, 18891 Front St., 7 p.m. All welcome; partners not required. Requested donation: $2 ($3 on 3rd-Monday live-music party nights). For March only, the third Monday will be regular class instruction. The usual third Monday live-music party will be held on the fourth Monday. We can all be honorary Irish on Monday, March 17, and honorary Norwegians on March 24. Info: Julie, (360) 394-9698; or Laurel, (360) 876-8907.
- Wednesdays (Burnaby, B.C.). The Scandinavian Dancers of Vancouver, B.C., present relaxed and friendly folk dance evenings every Wednesday, open to everyone, at 7:30 p.m., at the Scandinavian Community Centre. Drop-in fee is $8. For more info, contact Judith (604) 526-4722 or email@example.com. Please visit our website: www.vcn.bc.ca/scandi/.
- 2/22 (Tacoma) Bruce Sagan music workshop, 2:30–4:30 p.m. Bruce will teach tunes by Byss-Calle, the legendary Swedish musician from Uppland. To reserve your spot, call Leslie Foley at (253) 905-6028. $20; please pay at the workshop. Enjoy the after-workshop potluck. Held at 8609 - 42nd St. W. (University Place), Tacoma, WA.
- 2/22 (Tacoma) Mountaineers 4th Saturday Scandinavian Dance, 7–10:30 p.m. Music by guest fiddler and composer Bruce Sagan, along with North and South (aka Martha Levenson and Leslie, et al). Learn gammal polska with Judy Patterson and Jerry Walsh at 7 p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No partner needed. Non-Mountaineers welcome. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of 15th and M.L. King St., Tacoma). $10 for adults; $5 for students and non-dancers. Info: (253) 759-3731 or firstname.lastname@example.org; or (360) 491-0704 or email@example.com.
- 2/22 (Bellevue) Day of the Accordion, Crossroads Mall, Bellevue. Folk Voice Band plays. Free.
- 2/23 (Mt. Vernon) Fourth Sunday dance at the VASA lodge in Mount Vernon, 1805 Cleveland Ave., 2–5 p.m. Live music by the Sammenspil band from Vancouver B.C. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2/28 (Seattle) Scandinavian Folkdance. Come if you want to dance, or come if you want to immerse yourself in the sweet music of the nyckelharpa. Sprida Ut provides the live music for the 4th Friday Scandinavian Folkdance on February 28th. 8–10:30 p.m.; $10 (less for members). Swedish Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter North, Seattle, 98109. Info email@example.com.
- 3/1 (Seattle) Northwest Danish Association Dinner. Join us for a wonderful dinner and a special program for all ages! Hakkebøf med Løy and all the trimmings. Social hour at 5 p.m.; dinner begins at 6 p.m. Reservations needed by Feb. 27.Info: www.northwestdanishassociation.org.
- 3/2 (Seattle) Swedish Pancakes. Music and dancing, plus authentic Swedish pancakes, lingonberries, ham, and all the right fix’ins. Music by: Skandia Spelmanslag, Lilla Spelmanslag and Nordiska Folkdancers & Musicians. $9 guests, $7 SCC members, children 5–12, $5. 8 a.m.–1:30 p.m. As always, stay afterward for genealogy. Swedish Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter N.
- 3/8 2014 Annual Nordic Heritage Day. Saturday 10 a.m.–3 p.m. Food demonstrations and samples for tasting. Craft demonstrations, fjord horse, and genealogy. Lunch is available for purchase: pea soup, open-faced sandwiches, rommegrot, and desserts. Open to the public; free admission and free parking. Bothell Sons of Norway, 23905 Bothell Highway, Bothell WA 98021. Info: (425) 485-9085 or www.bothellsonsofnorway.org.
- 3/21–23 (Folklore Village, WI) Spring Swedish Music and Dance Weekend. See registration brochure at: www.folklorevillage.org.
- 3/22 (Vancouver, B.C.) Spring Equinox Ball. The Scandinavian Dancers of Vancouver, BC invite you to our event of the year. Great catered dinner, followed by dancing to music by local bands Sammenspil and Gammel Dansk, and featuring guest musician Kristian Bugge from Denmark. Dinner and dance $46 (to be confirmed). Contact Riitta at firstname.lastname@example.org for information and billeting. At the KinVillage Recreation center at 5410-10th Ave in Tsawwassen. Pre-registration for dinner is required by Monday, March 17. There will be a flyer/registration form in February.
- 3/23 (Mount Vernon) Fourth Sunday dance at the VASA lodge in Mount Vernon, 1805 Cleveland Ave, 2–5 p.m. CD music. Info: email@example.com.
- 3/28 (Seattle) Folkdance at the Swedish Cultural Center. Skandia Kapell presents the live music for your folkdancing delight, 8 p.m. to 10:30. Swedish Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter North, Seattle 98109. Cost: $10 (less for Swedish Cultural Center members). No partner required. No experience required either, so we do recommend shoes that protect your toes. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4/4 (Lynnwood) The Skandia First Friday dance will be the St. Urho dance at Cedar Valley Grange.
- 4/27 (Mount Vernon) Fourth Sunday dance at the VASA lodge in Mount Vernon, 1805 Cleveland Ave, 2–5 p.m. Info: email@example.com.
- 6/14–21 Scandia Camp Mendocino 2014. Registration for Scandia Camp Mendocino 2014 is open and we are accepting registrations. Flyer and registration at ScandiaCampMendocino.org.
- 6/29 (Kenmore) Skandia Midsommarfest, St. Edward State Park, Kenmore, WA, 11 a.m.–6 p.m.
- 10/18 (Seattle) Skandia Ball
Email Scandinavian events items to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send by surface mail (typed only ) to Kathy D. Bruni, Skandia Newsletter, 14805 NE 177th St., Woodinville, WA 98072-6223. Items for the April issue must arrive by 10 March. Please include date, time, cost, location, contact phone number, and/or email address. For changes or updates to web site items please email the Skandia Webmaster. Priority is given to local Scandinavian dance and music events