- Sundays (Port Angeles) Regular Sunday dance. Scandinavian and ballroom dancing Sundays, 7–9 p.m. Scandia Hall at 131 W 5th St., Port Angeles, WA. Donations taken at the door. Info: Sandy or Paul, (360) 457-7035 or email@example.com.
- Mondays (Poulsbo) Scandinavian dance instruction, 7–9 p.m., at the Sons of Norway Hall, 18891 Front Street. $3/ session. Partners not required. Beginning class at 7 p.m. focuses on polka, waltz, pivot. Party dance Monday, May 16 at 7 p.m. a prelude for the Ballard Parade on Tuesday and the Poulsbo Parade on Saturday, May 21. Bring dance shoes, a willingness to have fun, and a treat to share. Questions: Julie, (360) 394-9698; Laurel, (360) 876-8907. Info: www.poulsbosonsofnorway.com.
- Mondays (Portland) Norske Runddansere Scandinavian Folkdance. We dance and teach couple and circle dances and lively mixers from all five Scandinavian countries. We meet at Scandinavian Heritage Foundation’s Nordia House at 8800 SW Oleson Rd., Portland, OR 97223. $4; first dance free, and free for students; $50 for annual membership. Every- one is welcome! Please bring separate indoor dancing shoes. Lessons every Monday, 7:30–8:30 p.m., fall– spring. Open request dance year-round. Info: New- gards, (503) 636–7509, firstname.lastname@example.org, or www.norskerunddansere.org.
- Wednesdays, (Burnaby, B.C.) Scandinavian dance. Weekly teaching & request dancing to recorded music, September–April, with time off around Christmas. Scandinavian Community Centre, 6540 Thomas St., 7:30–10 p.m., $8. Second Wednesdays are live music nights at an alternate location; see www.vcn.bc.ca/scandi for the venue and details. Info: Judith, (604) 526-4722 or email@example.com.
- 4/23 (Tacoma) Scandinavian Dance with Sons
of Norway, 7–10:30 p.m. Music by Seattle
Spelmanslag. Learn or review Rørospols with Larry Reinert at 7 p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Scandinavian couple dances. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No partner needed. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of S.15th and M L King St., Tacoma). $10; $7 for Sons of Norway Lodge #2 members ($10 for Lodge #2 couples); $5 for nondancers;
students, free. Info: (253) 759-3731 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4/24 (Mt. Vernon) Fourth Sunday Scandinavian dance at the VASA lodge, 1805 Cleveland Ave,
2–5 p.m. Live music by the Dansaspel Scandinavian Folk Band of Bellingham. (Preceding the dance, there’s an intermediate class from 12 to 1:30).
- 4/28–5/1 (Salt Lake City) Scandi Spring Fest 2016, Salt Lake City, Utah; Thursday, 7:30 p.m., concert; Friday evening workshop; Saturday dance, fiddle, and accordion workshops, knitting session; Saturday evening banquet and dance party, Sunday, May 1, dance and music review. From Minneapolis, Minnesota: Dance instructors, Carol Anne Sersland and Steven Peterson; Music instruction, Ole Olsson’s Old-time Orkestra, also from Minneapolis.
Questions? SaltLakeScandiDance@gmail.com or www.saltlakescandidance.org/spring-fest-2016.html
- 5/1 (Seattle) Swedish pancake breakfast. Live music by Richard Svensson & Bjarne Jacobsen, Seattle Skandia Spelmanslag, and Smilin’ Scandinavians, and authentic Swedish pancakes, with ham,lingonberries, and all the fixin’s. Live music. $9; SCC members, $7; children ages 5–12, $5. 8 a.m.–1:30 p.m. Swedish Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter Ave N.
- 5/9 Norske Runddansere’s 28th Annual Birthday Ball. 7:30–10 p.m. Live music by “Ballard Meets Bellis Fair.” Nordia House (8800 SW Oleson Road, Portland OR 97223). Lively mixers and couples dances. No partner necessary. Scandinavian or festive attire encouraged. Bring finger foods or drinks to share. We will not have our regular teaching this night; join us on another Monday for lessons. Please bring separate indoor dancing shoes. NR and Leikarringen members free! Nonmembers, $12; families=2 adult fees; listeners, $5. Info: www.norskerunddansere.org or (503) 636-7509.
- 5/13 (Seattle) Scandinavian Folkdance at the Swedish Club. Free informal lesson, 7:30 to 8 p.m.; dance to live music, 8–10:30 p.m. Cost: $10; less for Swedish Club members. Neither a partner nor expertise are mandatory. Join us for old-time waltzes and polkas, and just to have fun. Swedish Club, 1920 Dexter Ave N., Seattle, WA.
- 5/13–16 Springdans Northwest. This year’s camp may be full; contact email@example.com to inquire about availability.
- 6/12 VASA Lodge Midsommarfest, Mount Vernon, 2–6 p.m. Raising the Majstang on our lawn at 2 p.m.; live music by Skandia Kapell, dancing on the lawn, potluck, and dancing in the lodge. More info. next month.
- 8/19–21 Norsk Folkedans Stemne with Ingrid Tuko and friends at Treacy Levine Center, Camp Brotherhood, WA. More info: www.seattlestemne.org.
Scandinavian festivals and camps:
This information is provided as a service to members. No endorsement of any event is implied. —The Editor
- Scandia Camp Mendocino 2016, June 11–18, will feature the dance & music of Hallingdal, Norway, with Ingunn Strœte Lie & Simon Hesselberg Løvald teaching dance, and Helga Myhr teaching hardingfele and playing for the dance classes. It will also feature the dance & music of Sweden, with Anneli & Michael Nordin teaching dance and Andreas Idh & Lena Jonsson teaching fiddle and playing for the dance classes. Singing: Eva Rune from Sweden. More info: www.scandiacampmendocino.org.
- Nordic Fiddles and Feet June 26–July 3. A week of Scandinavian music and dance in the beautiful White Mountains of New Hampshire. Registration: at nordicfiddlesandfeet.org. Contact Byron Wiley at firstname.lastname@example.org for information, or to receive a brochure.
- Tim Rued’s folk culture tour of Hälsingland, Uppland, and Dalarna, June 29–July 12. Includes three major festivals (Delsbostämman, Bingsjöstämman, & Riksspelmansstämman in Mora) in the two weeks. Info: www.folksweden.com/tourhome.
- July 21–24, 2016. Hardanger Fiddle Music & Dance Workshop, featuring the music and dance of Setesdal. Presenting a master class in the music of Setesdal and more, plus North American expert Hardingfele players. Folklore Village, Dodgeville, Wisconsin. At Folklore Village, 35 minutes west of Madison, WI. Air-conditioned hall with beautiful sprung wood dance floor. For a registration form & complete info, see www.hfaa.org, contact, email@example.com, or call (612) 568-7448.
- Norrlandia Camp, July 23–29, 2016. Join some of Sweden’s best-known dancers and musicians for classes in traditional Swedish dance and music at Harsagården, a lakeside resort known for beautiful scenery, hiking trails, and fine cuisine, in Hälsingland, Sweden. Schedule and activities: http://spelmanslaget.nu/norrlandia.
- Norsk Folkedans Stemne August 19–21,with Ingrid Tuko and friends at Treacy Levine Center, Camp Brotherhood, WA. More info: www.seattlestemne.org.
Email Scandinavian events items to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send by surface mail (typed only ) to Kathy D. Bruni, Skandia Newsletter, 14805 NE 177th St., Woodinville, WA 98072-6223. Items for the June issue must arrive by 10 May. Please include date, time, cost, location, contact phone number, and/or email address. For changes or updates to web site items please email the Skandia Webmaster. Priority is given to local Scandinavian dance and music events