SKANDIA FOLKDANCE SOCIETY
SUNDAY, JUNE 26th
11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
St. Edward State Park
CELEBRATING MIDSOMMARFEST IN THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST!
Midsommarfest, as presented by Skandia Folkdance Society, is a traditional Swedish celebration of the summer solstice, recreated in as authentic a manner as possible, complete with the 2:30 p.m. raising of a garlanded Midsommar pole, a serpentine dance around the pole, and hundreds of costumed musicians and dancers - traditions practiced in Sweden for centuries. Over the years since the 1959 inception of Skandia Midsommarfest, the festival has expand to include contributions from all the Nordic and Baltic countries so that the rich cultural diversity of all those lands can be experienced by Skandia Midsommarfest attendees.
Midsommarfest showcases a wealth of wonderful music and dancing by the Northwest's premier Nordic folk musicians and dancers (and this area boasts some of the best in the Western Hemisphere). Allspel time is 3:20 pm, immediately following the ceremonies at the pole.
A special focus of Midsommarfest is the Hemslöjdsmarknad - an avenue of traditional crafts where carefully selected crafts people demonstrate their skills and sell their wares. Traditional midsommar food and other Scandinavian delicacies will be offered. And a flower crown -- the classic midsommarkrans -- ready to decorate to your own taste, will add the finishing touch to your midsommar celebration.
Midsommarfest activities, including music, dancing, food and crafts, all begin a 11:00 a.m. The grand parade and raising of the majstång (garlanded midsommar pole) are at 2:30 p.m.
Spectators are invited to help hoist the 45-foot pole with their muscles or cheers, and then to join in the rousing långdans (serpentine running dance) around the pole, accompanied by the stirring music of massed musicians. Participation dancing follows on the main stage while entertainment, food, crafts activities and good times continue throughout the park grounds.
2016 Midsommarfest Admission Fees:
2016 Midsommarfest vendor information and application
Vendor questions, Email: email@example.com
Photo Slideshows from past
Skandia Midsommarfest celebrations
- Skandia's 2016 Midsommar Photo Album
- Skandia's 2015 Midsommar Photo Album
- Skandia's 2014 Midsommar Photo Album
- Skandia's 2013 Midsommar Photo Album
- Skandia's 2012 Midsommar Photo Album and VIDEO
- Skandia's 2011 Midsommar Photo Album
- Skandia's 2010 Midsommar Photo Album
- Skandia's 2009 Midsommar Photo Album
- Skandia's 2008 Midsommar Photo Album
- Skandia's 2007 Midsommar Photo Album
- Skandia's 2006 Midsommar Photo Album
- Skandia's 2005 Midsommar Photo Album
- Skandia's 2004 Midsommar Photo Album
- Skandia's 2003 Midsommar Photo Album
- Skandia's 1999 Midsommar Photo Album
- Skandia's 1997 Midsommar Photo Album